Teacher Inquiry into Student Learning
Inquiry Learning and Robotics
Inquiry – ‘the organised pursuit of curiosity.’
Will robots/AI reduce the need for human teachers?
Here are some ideas from Harpaz (2005) on six characteristics of ‘fertile’ questions that might be used in an inquiry:
- Open – there are several different or competing answers
- Undermining – makes the learner question their basic assumptions
- Rich – cannot be answered without careful and lengthy research, often able to be broken into subsidiary questions
- Connected – relevant to the learners
- Charged – has an ethical dimension
- Practical – is able to be researched given the available resources
What is a robot? Ask the students what they think. Robots have to do something physical, a bot does something online. Robots as small as a light sensor through to large whole scale moving and making.
Our robotic arm did not function as we expected to . Programming should have worked, but the physical output didn’t match. Disappointing for me. Would love to give it a go again.